Monday, December 5, 2011

Nuclear Rabbit at Gilman St in Berkeley, CA

Nuclear Rabbit is one of my favorite bands for at least the past 15+ years. I originally found them searching for bands on the original "mp3.com" website when it was still flooded with local bands giving away free music. They have been around since 1989! Since I discovered them I have introduced COUNTLESS open minded fans of music to their sound and the majority have LOVED it. Even my girlfriend and 13 year old step daughter sing along to their silly songs. I hear people compare them to everything from Mr. Bungle and Primus, to Death and Minute Men, they have a VERY unique sound with Greg Parrish's wide range of vocals, and Jean Baudin on the 11 string bass! 

After all these years and all the shows I have seen, I never had the opportunity to catch them playing live! I scoured the internet searching for live footage, and even after the invention and flooding of youtube and other video sharing sites, I could find nothing more than a couple short 30 second cell phone clips. Nothing worth hearing or watching. I could only imagine how they pulled off the songs live. About 5 years ago I moved to the bay area and hoped one new advantage would be that I have a better chance of one day catching them live along with many other amazing bands who play in SF bay area.  




Due to the fact these guys just appear and play a show or two, then disappear for YEARS... It was never in the cards for me to see them in person UNTIL recently! In October I had the rare opportunity to catch Nuclear Rabbit live in Berkeley, California!  Since I knew this was possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity, I grabbed my 3D camera and decided I would go right to the front and capture as much of the show as I could,  to share with the world of fans who are deprived of the rabbit.. and to preserve the night for myself to watch many times over. Which I have.

I had such high expectations after all these years, and let me tell you, each member of the band BLEW me away! This is quite possibly the most underrated band I have ever had the pleasure of discovering. The combination of all 4 members is perfection, some of the best drum and bass combinations possible, and the guitar riffs are as unique as they come. Greg is all over the place vocally telling stories, and switching seamlessly from clean heartfelt clean vocals to death metal screams and then on to some doo wop all sounding like it was inspired by too many cartoons and hallucinogens.



Below is the 2d and 3d versions of the first time I ever got to see Nuclear Rabbit this past October in Berkeley. The vocals were very low due to how close I was to the stage, and it may be a bit chaotic, but I think it is well worth the watch, rare footage indeed of NR, and a mighty fine performance!


FULL SHOW LIVE IN BERKELEY OCTOBER 8TH (2D)




FULL SHOW LIVE IN BERKELEY OCTOBER 8TH (3D)



Be sure to add Nuclear Rabbit on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nuclear-Rabbit-Official/206760606041184

You can also hear their music on myspace!
http://www.myspace.com/nuclearrabbitofficial


  • Greg Parrish – vocals
  • Jean Baudin – Extended-range bass (11-String), backing vocals 
  • Timothy Bailey – drums
  • Jason Branyan – guitar


No comments:

Post a Comment